The European Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP) Award
The European Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP) Award recognises local authorities that have developed a Mobility Plan that satisfies the diverse transport needs of people and businesses, whilst improving quality of life.
The award scheme was launched in 2012. The first three editions of the SUMP Award have been organised within the European Commission's Sustainable Urban Mobility Campaign (known as "Do the right mix"). Since its 4th edition, the award is part of the European Mobility Week (EMW).
The SUMP Award is presented during a joint ceremony with the EMW Award in March/April each year.
Thematic focus of the SUMP Award
The award highlights a different aspect of mobility planning in each edition:
- The 1st edition of the award opened in 2012 and recognised stakeholder and citizen participation in the SUMP process
- The 2nd SUMP Award edition looked at successful territorial and policy integration
- The 3rd SUMP Award recognised outstandign work regarding monitoring and evaluation of the SUMP
- The 4th SUMP Award focused at providing for multimodality and intermodality in sustainable urban mobility planning.
- The 5th SUMP Award acknowledged the integration of urban freight in transport planning. The winner will be revealed on 20 March 2017.
SUMP Award winners
Previous Award winners and finalists are:
1st SUMP Award:
- Winner: Aberdeen (GB) (Eltis case study) (video)
- Finalists: Ljutomer (SI) (Eltis case study) (video) | Tolouse (FR) (video)
2nd SUMP Award:
- Winner: Rivas Vaciamadrid (ES) (Eltis case study) (video)
- Finalists: Strasbourg (FR) (video) | Vitoria-Gasteiz (ES) (video)
3rd SUMP Award:
- Winner: Bremen (DE) (Eltis case study) (video)
- Finalists: Dresden (DE) (Eltis case study) (video) | Ghent (BE) (Eltis case study) (video)
- Special Prize of the Jury: Thessaloniki (EL) (Eltis case study)
4th SUMP Award:
5th SUMP Award:
- Winner: to be announced on 20 March 2017
- Finalists: Brussels (BE), Budapest (HU), Stockholm (SE)