Search by Date:
Buses and Economic Growth Report produced by the UK is outAn independent report by the University of Leeds (UK) unveils the link between using bus services and economic growth in the UK. The bus service is an inclusive one as it allows to a wider range of society to commute to work, go to their education centres or do the shopping.
Greener Journeys, an alliance of UK bus and coach companies and wider stakeholders, commissioned an independent report, Buses and Economic Growth, in December 2011 to fill in the missing piece in existing research on the role of buses in contributing to economic growth, and quantifying the benefits bus services bring.
The report produced by Institute for Transport Studies, University of Leeds, UK in July 2012, assesses the economic contribution of the bus in growing the economy of the country as a whole, helping people to connect with their jobs, growing their business and supporting the vitality of city centres.
The report contains a review of evidence from the National Travel Survey, UK, an internet survey of bus users with a control sample of non-users and the conclusions drawn from twenty one interviews with employers and other stakeholders.
The Bus service reaches a wider range of society than car or rail. Within the inclusive picture, groups such as young adults and those with no car available tend to be frequent bus users.
Key findings include:
- Bus commuters help generate £64bn of economic output every year.
- Of the five billion bus journeys made in the UK each year, one billion are made to work.
- People use the bus to make shopping and leisure trips with an annual value of £27.2bn, of which £21.5bn is spent in town or city centres.
- 1 in 10 bus commuters would be forced to look for another job if they could no longer commute by bus.
- More than 50% of students are frequent bus users and depend on the bus to get to their education or training.
To download the summary report, go to: http://www.greenerjourneys.com (.pdf)
To access the full report click http://www.greenerjourneys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/BusesEconomicGrowth_FINAL-REPORT.pdf here] (.pdf)
Further information about this project can be found on: http://www.greenerjourneys.com/2012/07/buses-economic-growth-making-the-link-new-report
Date Posted: 06.08.2012
News Group: Initiatives Around Europe